Standupforanimals.net terms of service
Last updated: March 16, 2017
Standupforanimals.net’s mission is to inspire it’s users to share information and ideas which will reduce the euthanasia of pets, and create more humane conditions for shelter pets, nationwide throughout the United States of America. The following guidelines in their entirety constitute the Terms of Service pertaining to Standupforanimals.net and its contributors which include All About the Animals and Ted Sorich of Stand Up for Dogs (the Platform owners) and Scott Merritt (the Platform Developer), outlining rights and responsibilities related to our platform and services.
Table of Contents
- 1. User accounts
- 2. User content rules
- 3. Posting user content
- 4. Open platform
- 5. Our rights
- 6. Copyright infringement
- 7. Donations
- 8. More legal wording to protect us
- 9. Dispute resolution
- 10. How to contact us
- 1. User accounts
- You need an account for most activities on the Platform. Keep your password somewhere safe, because you’re responsible for all activity associated with your profile. If you suspect someone else is using your account, let us know.
- When you sign up for an account via our platform, all your posting and message activities are then tied to this account.
- When setting up your account, you must provide a valid an accurate email address belonging to yourself. Despite the feature for optional anonymity by creating a username that does not identify you personally, you have complete responsibility for your account and everything that happens on your account, including for any harm or damage (to us or anyone else) caused by someone using your account without your permission. This means you need to be careful with your password. You may not transfer your account to someone else or use someone else’s account without their permission. Inform us immediately upon learning that someone else may be using your account without your permission by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2. User content rules
- You’re responsible for what you post on Standupforanimals.net. You should keep your comments respectful of other users and the law, and respect the intellectual property rights of others. It’s not something we want to do, but we can terminate your account for repeated or major offenses.
- Follow our Guidelines for Posting: We encourage the open expression of opinions and ideas, and believe that challenging is the process of mutual learning. That being said, we discourage communication that could be viewed as bullying, harassment, intimidation etc towards other users; the use of obscene language or images; a violation of others’ privacy; posts in commercial interest (spam); or illegal activity. We’re fans of free speech, but we don’t allow hate speech. Hate speech is typically the advocacy of beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people based on characteristics such as their age, color, disability, ethnic origin, gender identity, nationality, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, medical condition, or veteran status. We don’t allow content that directly incites, glorifies, or encourages violence against anyone.
- Abide by the law and respect rights of others: You cannot post any content that violates applicable local or national laws of your country, or international laws or regulations. You are solely responsible for any content you post via the Standupforanimals.net platform and the consequences of posting it.
- Enforcement by Standupforanimals.net: If we are put on notice that your content violates the law or the rights of others (for example, if it is established that it is defamatory or violates privacy, intellectual property or publicity rights or others), if we discover that your content violates our Guidelines for Posting, or if we believe your content is inappropriate or objectionable, we may remove it from our platform.
- Standupforanimals.net has discretion in enforcing these Terms. We may terminate or suspend your permission to use our platform and services or disable your account at any time, and with or without notice, for any material or repeated violation of these Terms, upon the request of law enforcement or government agencies, for extended periods of inactivity, for unexpected technical issues or problems, or for engagement by you in fraudulent or illegal activities. Upon any such termination we may delete your account, passwords and content and we may prevent you from further access to the platform and use of our services. Your content may still be available on the platform even if your account is terminated or suspended. You agree that we will have no liability to you or any third party for termination of your account, removal of your content or blocking of your access to our platform and services.
- 3. Posting user content
- You retain ownership of content you post to Standupforanimals.net, but you should make sure you’re allowed to share it. We’re allowed to make versions of your content publicly available to anyone through any media, and others can do the same. Be sure to make backups of your work too.
- The content you post (including photos, videos, documents, text, and URL links) remains yours, and you also allow us to reuse and share it: By submitting and posting content, you do not lose any ownership rights you may have in your content. However, you authorise us to share this content with anyone, distribute it on any platform and in any media, and to make modifications or edits to it as we see fit. You also authorise us to allow others to do the same with your content. In legal language, by submitting or posting content on or through the Standupforanimals.net platform, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, reproduce, process, adapt, modify, publish, transmit, display and distribute your content in any and all media or distribution methods (existing now or later developed). This includes making your content available to other companies, organizations or individuals who partner with Standupforanimals.net for the syndication, broadcast, distribution or publication of content on other media. You represent and warrant that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to authorise us to use any content that you submit. You also agree to all such uses of your content with no compensation paid to you.
- Sharing Standupforanimals.net content: We encourage you to link to, post to social media and third party services, such as Facebook or Twitter, share via email, or otherwise copy and posts of interest to you, but only for informational, non-commercial purposes. If you share another user’s posts, you may not make any modifications, and you may not remove any attributions. When you post content to any third party service, you will be subject to the terms of that third party service.
- No user content storage: We are not a content-archiving service. We do not promise to store or make available on our platform any content that you or other users may post for any length of time. You are solely responsible for keeping backups of everything you post on the platform.
- 4. Open platform
- Posts on Standupforanimals.net represent the many opinions of many people. We don’t take responsibility for their views, nor do we monitor content for legality or accuracy. You’ll find links to other sites on Standupforanimals.net - once you leave us, we’re not responsible for the subsequent content you are directed to.
- We are not responsible for the content of our users, and we do not monitor user content: Content posted by users comes from people, organizations and other various sources. We make no promises about the reliability of any source or the accuracy, usefulness, safety, or intellectual property rights of any user content nor do we endorse any posts or support any views, opinions, recommendations, or advice that may be posted by users. We do not monitor or review content submitted by users, or evaluate them for compliance with foreign or domestic laws and regulations. You therefore use the Standupforanimals.net service and rely on any content you find at your own risk.
- If you find any user content that violates our Guidelines for Posting, please flag the content as “spam”, “obscene” or “harassment”. One of our site moderators will then review and potentially delete the post.
- Links out: When you use our platform, you will find links to other websites that we don’t own or control. We are not responsible for the content or any other aspect of these third party sites, including their collection of information about you. You should also read their terms and conditions and privacy policies.
- 5. Our rights
- We own the Standupforanimals.net platform including the website, present or future apps and services, and things like our logo, API, code and content created by our representatives or contractors.
- All rights, title, and interest in and to the Standupforanimals.net platform and services including our website, our existing or future applications, our APIs, databases, and the content our employees or partners submit or provide through our service (but excluding content provided by users) are and will remain the exclusive property of Standupforanimals.net and its licensors. Our platform and services are protected by copyright, and other laws of both the United States and foreign countries. Nothing gives you a right to use the Standupforanimals.net name or any of the Standupforanimals.net logos, domain names, and other distinctive brand features. Any feedback, comments, or suggestions you may provide regarding Standupforanimals.net, or the services is entirely voluntary and we will be free to use such feedback, comments or suggestions as we see fit and without any obligation to you.
- You may not do any of the following while accessing or using the Standupforanimals.net platform and services:
- o access, tamper with, or use non-public areas of the platform, Standupforanimals.net’s computer systems, or the technical delivery systems of Standupforanimals.net’s service providers.
- o disable, interfere with, or try to circumvent any of the features of the platform related to security or probe, scan, or test the vulnerability of any of our systems.
- o copy, modify, create a derivative work of, reverse engineer, reverse assemble or otherwise attempt to discover any source code of the Standupforanimals.net platform or services.
- o access or search or attempt to access or search our platform by any means (automated or otherwise) other than through our currently available search functionalities that are provided via our website, mobile apps or API (and only pursuant to those API terms and conditions). Crawling the Standupforanimals.net site is permissible if done in accordance with the provisions of the robots.txt file; however, scraping the services, platforms and databases is expressly prohibited unless authorised in a written agreement between you and Standupforanimals.net.
- o in any way use the Standupforanimals.net services to send altered, deceptive or false source-identifying information (such as sending email communications falsely appearing as Standupforanimals.net); or (v) interfere with, or disrupt, (or attempt to do so), the access of any user, host or network, including, without limitation, sending a virus, overloading, flooding, spamming, mail-bombing the Standupforanimals.net platform or services, or in any other manner interfering with or creating an undue burden on the Standupforanimals.net services.
6. Copyright infringement
If you think someone’s infringing your copyright on Standupforanimals.net, let us know at email@example.com.
If you believe that one of our users has violated your copyright, you should notify us in writing either to firstname.lastname@example.org or All About the Animals, PO Box 7564, Burbank, CA 91505. In order for us to take action, you must do the following in your notice:
- 1. identify your copyrighted work that you believe is being infringed
- 2. identify the item on our service that you think is infringing your work and include sufficient information about where the material is located (for example, a URL or link to a relevant page) so that we can easily find it
- 3. provide us with a way to contact you, such as your address, telephone number, or e-mail
- 4. provide a statement that you believe in good faith that the item you have identified as infringing is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law to be used on the Platform
- 5. provide a statement that the information you provide in your notice is accurate, and that (under penalty of perjury), you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner whose work is being infringed
- 2. Donations
- We reserve the right to seek donations via the Standupforanimals.net Platform for the non profit activities of All About the Animals (a 501(c)(3) Non Profit incorporated in the State of California, Tax ID: 81-1148774, who are the 50% intellectual property owners of the Platform). In this event, we may choose to work with a different company to process payments so we can stay focused on improving our platform, and empowering people to create change. When you make a payment, you agree to their terms of payment.
- If you make a purchase or donation through our platform, you agree to pay the applicable fee or amount in accordance with any pricing and payment terms presented to you for that donation.
- You agree that, for all donation transactions, (a) you will not use an invalid or unauthorised payment method; (b) you will be charged using the payment method you designate; and (c) all transactions are final and non-refundable (unless otherwise determined by Standupforanimals.net in its sole discretion). You understand and acknowledge that payments made to Standupforanimals.net may be tax-deductible as charitable donations, depending on your personal circumstances.
- Standupforanimals.net may engage third party payment processors to process these donation transactions. Standupforanimals.net is not affiliated with these payment processors. Accordingly, Standupforanimals.net expressly disclaims responsibility and liability for all services provided by any payment processor, and you agree that Standupforanimals.net will not be responsible for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of those services.
- 3. More legal wording to protect us
- The possibilities for what people may do with a free, online, interactive platform that people everywhere can use to learn about, and create change are endless.
While we’re working hard to build an amazing free platform for people everywhere, we can’t make you any promises that it will always work perfectly or that we’ll maintain all our services forever.
- No waiver, assignment: If we waive any of our rights in any particular instance, it does not mean that we are waiving our rights generally or in the future. If we do not enforce all our rights all of the time under these Terms, it does not mean that we are waiving our rights, and we may decide to enforce them at a later date. These Terms, and any rights and licenses granted under these Terms, may not be transferred or assigned by you, but may be assigned by us to another company or person without restriction. We won’t be liable to you for any delay or failure to perform any obligation we have under these Terms if the delay or failure is due to events which are beyond our reasonable control, including but not limited to any strike, blockade, war, act of terrorism, riot, natural disaster, failure or diminishment of power or of telecommunications or data networks or services, or refusal of approval or a license by a government agency.
- As is service: Use of the Standupforanimals.net platform is at your own risk. The platform (including the content you find on it) is provided on an “AS IS” and “AS AVAILABLE” basis. Standupforanimals.net and its affiliates, suppliers, partners and agents expressly disclaim all warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of title, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement.
- Furthermore, Standupforanimals.net and its affiliates, suppliers, partners and agents make no warranty that (i) its platform or any products or services provided through the platform will meet your requirements; (ii) the platform will be uninterrupted, timely, secure or error-free or that Standupforanimals.net will fix any errors; (iii) you will obtain any specific results from use of the platform; or (iv) any content on the platform is accurate, complete, reliable, current or error-free. Any content obtained through use of the platform is obtained at your own discretion and risk and Standupforanimals.net shall not be responsible for any damage caused to your computer or data or for any bugs, viruses, Trojan horses or other destructive code resulting from use of the platform or any content obtained from the platform. Some states do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so the above exclusion may not apply to you. You may also have other legal rights, which vary from state to state.
- No guarantee of service: We may decide to cease making available the Standupforanimals.net platform, apps or services or any portion of the services at any time and for any reason. Under no circumstances will Standupforanimals.net or its affiliates, suppliers, partners or agents be held liable for any damages due to such interruptions or lack of availability.
- Limitation of liability: To the fullest extent permitted under law, Standupforanimals.net and its affiliates, suppliers, partners and agents have no obligation or liability (whether arising in contract, warranty, tort (including negligence), product liability or otherwise) for any indirect, incidental, special, punitive, or consequential damages or liabilities (including, but not limited to, any loss of data or content, revenue or profit, or personal injury or death) arising from or related to your use of the Standupforanimals.net platform, service or any content provided by or through the Standupforanimals.net platform or service, even if we have been advised of the possibility of such damages in advance. This limitation applies to damages arising from (i) your use or inability to use the platform and access the services; (ii) cost of procurement of substitute products or services; (iii) unauthorised access to or alteration or distribution of content you submit through the platform; (iv) third party content made available to you through the platform; or (v) any other matter relating to any aspect of the Standupforanimals.net platform and service, including the website, the API, any present or future apps, email communications and Standupforanimals.net content on third party sites. Some countries and states do not allow the limitation or exclusion of incidental, consequential or other types of damages, so some of the above limitations may not apply to you.
- Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, Standupforanimals.net's liability and the liability of each of its affiliates, suppliers, partners and agents to you or any third parties under any circumstance is limited to one hundred dollars ($100).
- Indemnity: You agree to indemnify, defend (if we so request) and hold harmless Standupforanimals.net and its affiliates, suppliers, partners and agents from and against any claims, demands, losses, damages or expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising from the content you post or submit, your use of and connection to the Standupforanimals.net website, applications, API, and any other aspect of the Standupforanimals.net platform or service, your violation of these Terms or your violation of any rights of any third-party. Your indemnification obligation will survive the termination of these Terms and your use of the Standupforanimals.net platform and service.
- 4. Dispute resolution
- If you have a serious disagreement with a decision we make, let’s agree to sort it out with each other before we make claims in court.
- Standupforanimals.net is a U.S.-based company and these Terms are governed by laws of the state of California and the United States of America, without regard to their conflict of law principles. If a court having proper authority decides that any portion of these terms, policies and guidelines is invalid, only the part that is invalid will not apply and the rest will still be in effect. The official language of these Terms is English. If there is a conflict between the English language version and any translation, the English language version will prevail.
- In the event of any dispute, claim, question, or disagreement arising from or relating to these Terms or an alleged breach thereof, whether arising in contract, tort or otherwise, between you and us, we shall use our respective best efforts to settle the dispute. If a dispute arises, the complaining party shall provide written notice to the other party in a document specifically entitled “Notice of Dispute,” specifically setting forth the precise nature of the dispute. Please mail any Notice of Dispute to us at: All About the Animals, PO Box 7564, Burbank, CA 91505. You may also alert us to the Notice at: email@example.com
- Following Standupforanimals.net’s receipt of the Notice of Dispute, the parties shall consult and negotiate with each other in good faith and, recognising their mutual interest, attempt to reach a just and equitable solution of the dispute that is satisfactory to both parties. If the parties are unable to reach a resolution of the dispute through this dispute resolution mechanism within 90 days of the receipt of the Initial Notice of Dispute, then any subsequent claim, legal proceedings or litigation arising in connection with the Standupforanimals.net services will be brought solely in the federal or state courts located in Orange County or Los Angeles County, California, United States, and you consent to the jurisdiction of and venue in such courts and waive any objection as to inconvenient forum.
- 5. How to contact us
- The best way to get in touch with us is to email firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail:
- All About the Animals, PO Box 7564, Burbank, CA 91505.
- Thanks for helping make the world a better place for homeless animals.